This post is also available in: polski (Polish)
The conference was preceded by an intensive workshop day on soft surgery and dentistry led by Dr. Charly Pignon. Workshops took place at the Faculty of Animal Sciences of Warsaw University of Life Sciences – SGGW. Participants had the opportunity of performing male castration, female spay with medial or lateral access, as well as urinary tract procedures, including nephrectomy and cystotomy. Gastrointestinal procedures that the participants practiced on cadavers included gastrotomy and gastropexy, enterotomy and enterectomy, splenectomy, as well as lobectomy and liver biopsy.
The practical part of guinea pig dentistry started with a dental examination. Participants had the opportunity to use endoscopes for this purpose. Then, under the guidance of our teacher, after learning the basics of anatomy, they began performing extraction and trimming of teeth of the cadavers, using special drills. Participants practiced more advanced procedures such as rhinotomy, hemimandibulectomy and extraoral dental extraction. Additional procedures performed by the participants were: thyroidectomy, ear canal removal (TECALBO) and myringotomy.
Workshops part I, 9 a.m. – 1.30 p.m.
Advanced dentistry and selected head surgery, including:
- Manual and mechanical tooth correction,
- External access for extraction of molars/premolars,
- Diagnosis and treatment of selected dental cases,
- Eye and nasolacrimal canal treatments,
- Nose, turbinate and sinus treatments.
Workshops part II, at 14:30 – 19:00
Soft abdominal surgery (examples of procedures may change depending on participants’ expectations), among others:
- Treatments on the digestive system (including surgery on the intestine, stomach, liver),
- Urinary tract procedures (including nephrectomy, cystotomy),
- Castration and spay (mid vs. lateral access),
- Exploratory laparotomy.